Monday, March 11, 2013

'What about Liana??' #2: Work


The questions I receive most often from people back home are all about my job situation. Finally, you can cease your wondering!

I started looking for a job in early October. I went around (somewhat nervously) with my CV to a number of B&B’s, retail stores and cafes. I managed to land a part time serving job at a cafe in town called Mitchell. Even though I was looking for something a little more permanent and in line with my interests, at this point any job was better than no job. Plus I got free Mitchell’s coffee, which is some of the best in town.

Our first week here we visited a farm shop & cafe called Balgove about a 25 minute walk out of town. I immediately loved it and wanted to spend every day there consuming large amounts of scones with clotted cream and jam. The cafe serves up simple Scottish staples and the shop is full of wonderful local products, many of which come in fresh from the farm. So, naturally I dropped my CV off there. I was able to have a quick chat with the manager and a few days later received an email requesting an interview!

Scones, clotted cream, jam, good coffee. One of my happy places.
The interview went really well and I learned that they were expanding the shop and cafe starting in the new year and would be hiring someone for a marketing/promotions/admin position. It was still a little early in process to hire someone at that time (it was late October) and I was asked to come back in a month for another chat. In early December I returned and was given the job which was to start full time in the new year!!!

Heading down the drive to the shop & cafe
I would work in the cafe for 6 weeks, and then the shop for 6 weeks before moving into the office. This is so I could learn about the business, see how things run, and get to know the staff.

Main building
I am currently about to start my third week in the shop and so far I really enjoy working there. The staff is friendly and welcoming and I get to spend my day around beautiful food! I’m eager to start my position in the office in three weeks’ time. I think the role will develop as I learn more about the goals of the business and I’m excited to see where this takes me!

Fresh Fife eggs and local bread made that morning
So there you have it! My job in a nutshell. I’ll try and post another update about this in a few months when I’ve been in the office for a little while.


Balgove's very own highland cows


1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad, Liana, that you pointed me to this blog on FB. I had been wondering about your work, and Jesse's, and had forgotten you had begun this blog when you moved to St. Andrews. So now I've read backwards and feel like I know so much more about what your lives look like. You are both really great writers. And it seems that your work matches who you are so well. So happy for both of you, and we keep remembering you in our prayers, both Sandra and I, and also as a community on Sunday mornings. Our love to the two of you, and looking forward to your visit in August... read that on Jesse's posting.

    ReplyDelete