Saturday, September 29, 2012

Coincidences / Small World Occurences

1. During my first round of golf in St Andrews, I was approached by a gentleman on the 16th tee box, who asked if he could join up with me. We began to chat, and it turned out that he was from West Vancouver. What are the chances? Clearly this guy had some coin, since he was a member of the R&A and in town on his annual two-week trip to St Andrews to golf. Blimey.

OK, maybe that one wasn't all that impressive, but try this one on for size...

2. Last week I received the keys to my office in the Roundel. This particular office has four desks, all placed together in the centre of the room. Upon entering, the first thing to catch my eye is, on the desk next to mine, a guampa. With a thermos next to it, covered in classic South American style leather, with "Paraguay" proudly engraved on the side. I couldn't believe it! A mate drinker! Seated next to me!

But just wait. It gets better.

Turns out that this guy not only drinks mate.
He is from Paraguay.
He is a teacher at the MB Seminary in Asuncion.
He is writing his thesis on conceptual theology based on the Anabaptist experience in Paraguay.
He knows Friesland.

Seriously. Kind of unbelievable, especially given the scarcity of Mennonites doing their PhD - even more rare in the UK - and a Paraguayan Menno at that. Wow.


The past two mornings we have had mate together in the office while we work.

2 comments:

  1. My parents are all about the Mate, they ship all different kinds in from all over. There must be a correlation between mate appreciation and IQ - I'm just not there yet. hah

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chels, are you serious?! Somebody has got to make that into a serious import business and start raking in the cash. You have no idea how many times I've been asked, "Where do you get your yerba?" and I have to tell them, "Well, there's this little flooring shop in Abbotsford that sells specialty Paraguayan goods..."

    ReplyDelete