Saturday, September 29, 2012

The First Week Update


Hello everyone! Well, it's taken us a while but we've managed to set up a blog. I figured it might be good to begin with an email that I sent to a few family members about a week after we arrived. Much has happened since then, but I thought it would make good sense to begin at the beginning, for all who are interested. Happy reading!

-----

Well we've officially been out of Vancouver now for almost a week so I thought it might be time to send you all an update. I am sorry that we haven't been in more regular contact, but it's a bit tricky at the moment. Steve and Elissa only moved in to their apartment two weeks ago, and it takes about three weeks to get internet service hooked up (don't ask me why), so our online time has been snatched here and there from Starbucks visits and on their pay-as-you-go iPad connection (which for obvious reasons we don't want to over-use). I'm writing to you now from the university library (which, incidentally, Liana can't enter... I have to swipe my student card to enter and exit!).

Anyway, I don't intend for this to be a loooooong and drawn out email so I'll just give you a quick run-down of some aspects of our first week here.

- Our travel here was, for the most part, as smooth as can be. We ended up getting seated in exit rows on both of our flights, completely by chance. It was AWESOME. As much leg room as you could ask for. Only issue was a delay of almost an hour in Frankfurt because of some bad weather, which led to our shuttle driver in Edinburgh not being very impressed with us (as if it were our fault!).

- The biggest blessing of this first week has undoubtedly been the warm welcome given to us by Steve and Elissa. It has been a lot of fun and really easy to stay with them and their little boy Isaac. They have made their home ours. Liana and Elissa share many of the same interests and are coming up with all kinds of ideas revolving around revolutionizing the culinary scene of St Andrews (you can ask her about that). A highlight for me has been the post-dinner clean up in the kitchen of the past few nights (it has involved some pretty killer 90s music on the iPod).

- We have been walking around the town a lot and it is wonderful. Believe it or not, it has been predominantly sunny this week (with clouds blowing through the sky)... but that does not necessarily mean warm. They weren't kidding about the wind. Holy moley. I am looking forward to when this place actually feels like home, 'cause it seems like a great place to live. Pictures will be on facebook as soon as we can get them there.

On The Scores, looking west, with the Castle ruins behind us.
- We have met some pretty great people so far, most of whom are also part of the St Mary's community. Hung out with two other couples (one from Seattle, the other from California) on Saturday evening and a bunch more yesterday afternoon. Quite literally everyone has been very friendly, welcoming, eager to invite us places, make us feel a part of things, etc. It's quite something. Liana went to a tea (or brunch? I'm not sure) on Saturday morning with Elissa that was especially for St Mary's women, and came back almost two hours after it was supposed to have ended with a big smile on her face. That made me glad.

- I met with my supervisor (if you don't know who that is, you can ask me - all graduate students receive strict instructions that we are not to blog about our interactions!) on Friday afternoon and we talked for well over an hour. It was... well... it was both encouraging and a little overwhelming all at once. Encouraging: he's really keen on my project and thinks there's a lot to go on there; he gave me a few good ideas to poke into; he's very friendly and understands my feelings of not really knowing how to start. Overwhelming: there is a LOT for me to do. Good thing I've got three years! On the list for this first month: read, read, read, choose one important aspect of my thesis, look into it in depth, and come back with 5,000 words or so on it in a month. I met a couple of his other students yesterday, one who's been working with him for a full year, and she said that he has been far above and beyond what she expected from her supervisor. Available, helpful, pastoral. That made me very hopeful.

- I stood on the 18th fairway of the Old Course today. NBD. :-) Already purchased my restricted pass, so I am able to play 5 of the 7 courses (and the 6th I can play twice at 10 pounds each time). I cannot wait to play; I think I'm going to do so tomorrow (either the Eden or Jubilee Course).

- First Scotch tried: Johnnie Walker Black Label. A blend. Pretty nice stuff.

- My favourite Scots speech I've heard so far: "Och, dinnae get me wrong, it would take ye a wee while." Yes. Someone actually said that.

- We signed the lease for our place today and will be moving in on Wednesday. Haven't yet seen the interior, so here's hoping that all is well. No nasty surprises please. Our shipment is supposed to arrive in Edinburgh tomorrow, so we plan to rent a car and drive down there on Wednesday to pick up the stuff.


I think I'll draw it to a close there for now. God has been faithful and good to us in the transition thus far. It has not all been wonderful and happy, but I really do think that it has gone about as well as it could have, and he has placed some pretty wonderful people here to welcome us and show us his love. Please pray for us to have faith and trust in the fact that he has indeed called us here for his purpose. We miss and love you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment