Friday, October 12, 2012

The Morning Commute

I thought that some of you out there might be interested in seeing what my morning commute to my office is like. So join me, if you please, on a walk through St Andrews!

(Big props to our friend Chris Brewer, whose idea for this blog post I am straightup plagiarizing. You can check out his fantastic blog here. Oh, and for those who are curious... these photos were taken three days ago. Before the rain set in. I don't get a beautiful sunrise every day!)
Here we are, standing outside our building (it's the one on the left). I've now gone out the front door, up a few steps, and am looking left (south) down Muttoes Lane.

A bit further south down Muttoes, with the back entrance to The Keys pub on the right (hence the kegs).
Market Street is dead ahead!

A beautiful morning on Market. I have now turned towards the east - Muttoes Lane is to the left of this photo.
We will be heading east down Market for quite a ways.

After the busy section of Market Street ends, it turns into this narrow, cobbled, very medieval looking path - my favourite part of the walk. Still heading east.

At the end of Market, looking north up Castle Street. OK, this is a bit misleading, because we're actually going to head south, but I often turn and look north up the street at this point, because I love the glimpse of the castle ruins.

OK, there we go. Same viewpoint as above, now turned to look south down Castle Street.

At the intersection of Castle Street and South Street. We'll be making a left here.

Just after making that left, we're now looking east again, this time on South Street. The final stage of what (I'm sure you've noticed) has been a monumental journey!

The Roundel! At the far southeast corner of South Street. The cathedral ruin is just hidden around the corner, but directly ahead is St. Rule's tower, built even before the cathedral (probably around 1130)!

Here we are! The door to the Roundel.

Welcome to my office: the Bannerman Room. Named after Robert Bannerman, principal of St Mary's College from 1539-1546, it is on the first floor of the Roundel and has four desks and a (somewhat partial, admittedly) view out on to the garden. My desk is in the far corner by the books there.

Here we have it! A good space to work in. I'll be spending a lot of time here over the next few years.


1 comment: