Sunday, November 18, 2012

Things I Miss

Over the past few days I've been feeling my first legit bouts of homesickness. Nothing too serious - no weeping and eating buckets of ice cream or anything of that nature. I just feel like I've been especially conscious of certain things about home that I miss. I figured that blogging about it might be a good coping mechanism... maybe (?). I guess I'll find out.

Liana went with a couple of friends to the nearby town of Dundee (a.k.a. "Fundee" or "Scumdee", depending on who you talk to) yesterday, where they have a big Asian supermarket. She came home with a whole bunch of Asian foodstuffs (including Sriracha... there's no rooster on the bottles here!), which is great, and bodes well for the meals I'll be fed in the near future. The problem is, the presence of all this familiar and delicious ingredients has intensified my longing for one of the key things from home that you just can't get here:
Toshi Sushi... mmmmmmmmmmmm

Sushi. Yes. That's what I miss right now. Family? Of course! Friends? Undoubtedly! The Canucks? Well, at least I know I'm not alone. As for this moment, though... sushi is what is representing the Vancouver I miss. Oh man.

1 comment:

  1. I have been asked a couple times in the past few days what I miss and my answer starts with family/friends and tap water (no one here drinks the tap water and there is only one tap - cold) and finishes with a lengthening list of food. Let's face, if you are Mennonite, food = home. :)

    ReplyDelete